Tuesday 1 May 2012

Finalist Five in Ipswich's Best Garden Competition

Deb Sutton 

I'm not sure when my love of gardening started, for as long as I can remember I have loved flowers. Above all else I must have flowers.
My Grandmother spent her spare time gardening amongst spectacular annuals, Mum (87) has been a keen gardener for 65 odd years. I guess it's been born and breed in me, although my four siblings are not gardeners.
My present garden, 15 years in the making started with a bare block, bar a small Poinciana tree. It's been done my way, mistakes and all. No plan, just making a garden when money and time permitted and adding to it over the years.
Today it's not what it started out to be, due to the large Poinciana spreading its limbs much wider than its allotted space. So what was once a sunny perianal garden has been altered to a shade loving area.
I like to break up the plantings with other things; an old plough, cast iron bits and pieces, wagon wheels, seats, fountain, statues, a church door, a ruin, birdhouses, a secret garden, a chandelier and lots of pots.
The garden is filled with cuttings and plants from family and gardening friends- lots of memories. I am at my happiest at the end of the day, sun going down, glass of wine in one hand and the hose in the other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved