Thursday 19 December 2013

Green Cocktails

Want to go green this Christmas but don't know how? A little over the traditional poinsettia in a pot? 

Maybe you have to buy for that hard to buy for person? You know the ones.  The ones that have the ability to acquire all that they want and don't really like home wares or nic knacks, or have a small family and aren't really into a movie gift card....

You want to get them something planty of course, but what plant?

Light bulb moment!

Cocktails, Thai takeaway, Italian lovers and an office romance sound like pretty good gifts but we are supposed to be talking plants ... 

I am talking plants, just looking at them from a different view. 

Cocktails
 All I need is a cocktail recipe and the ingredients.

I found the recipe for Real Lime Mojito - lime, mint, sugar, rum.

I planted one of Trevallan's dwarf Tahitian Limes in a terracotta pot and under planted it with mint. I used Searles' Peat 80 potting mix, fertilised it with my organic fertiliser 'Organic Link' and put some mulch on top (I used pine bark). I than printed the recipe onto some decorative paper, laminated it and attached it to the tree. Tall glass and rum was bought and I placed this under the tree and BOOM - cocktails done!

 
 
 So everyone wants to have a herb garden but herb garden as a gift seems soooo boring. 


Why not give someone an "Italian Lover" or "Thai Takeaway".
 


Italian Lover
A large terracotta pot with rosemary, thyme and parsley. 

Thai takeaway 
I collected a group of terracotta pots all in different sizes and planted lemongrass, ginger, mint, chillies and coriander. 

For both pots I used Searles' Peat 80 potting mix, fertilised it with 'Organic Link' and put some mulch on top.

Office Romance
Zanzibar Gem, one of the hardiest indoor plants, place it in a planter and take to work. A planter is a pot without a hole. You don't plant in these pots you just place your plant in them. Because they don't have a hole they are great for indoors - when you water, water doesn't go everywhere.


Another idea I had for those that have a vegetable garden already - I wrapped a box and filled it with organic fertilisers, organic pest control and a book on attracting good bugs to the garden.

So many ideas - it feels like I've got a 1000w light bulb moment!

If you are struggling to come up with present ideas for family members and friends, Trevallan may just be where you need to go shopping this weekend!

Trevallan would love to help you put some green back into Christmas this year. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment


 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved